When it comes to site search, many companies are torn between building their search in-house or going with an external software like Cludo. The decision can be especially difficult when considering factors like budget, development resources and how quickly you need a functioning search.
But at Cludo, we’re not here to present you with difficult decisions. We’re here to make your life a little easier. So to help with your decision, we’ve broken down what you need to know when choosing a search solution. In this blog we’ll evaluate the different methods of investing in search, and try to discover which one is right for you.
To build or to buy? That is the question!
When deciding what path to take on your site search journey, there are a few questions you’ll want to answer:
- How much time and how many resources are you willing to put into your search? Do you have the necessary resources available?
- How customized does your search need to be?
- What is your budget?
- What is your timeline?
Getting a team-wide consensus on these questions is the first step towards choosing between buying or building your search.
Now that you have that accomplished, let’s dive in to our two contenders.
Building your search
First off, let’s discuss what it’s like to build your own search solution. Building search in-house comes with its own set of pros and cons. Not everyone is equipped to build a custom search, though there are benefits in doing so. Primarily, developing a custom search gives you full control over its technology and functionality, which is especially enticing if your company has a strict set of guidelines and aesthetics you must follow.
However, let’s discuss the elephant in the room: the cost, and the time. Our research suggests it costs, on average, $60,000 to build a solution in-house — and another $10,000 a year to maintain it. (Not to mention the cost of the staff member needed to keep it running.) Most organizations aren’t equipped with the development time and budget of larger corporations like Google or Facebook. Employing a dedicated search team is a huge undertaking, and not always the most cost-effective option. You also can’t set it and forget it. You’ll want your search to stay up-to-date with current search features and trends, which may be difficult for a smaller team.
Buying a search solution
Next we come to buying a search solution. Buying a search solution may be a complicated task, especially if your company is hesitant to commit to new technologies. Finding the right solution for your company can be time-consuming, but the time spent searching for your solution won’t come anywhere close to the time you’ll save after implementation.
Buying a search solution is a great option for many reasons. Whether you are limited on development resources, have a small budget or would just rather go with a trusted solution, buying has its perks. A few benefits of going with a search solution like Cludo include:
- Quick and easy implementation – Whether you go with a custom implementation or use one of our search templates, getting Cludo installed on your site will be quick and painless.
- Advanced analytics – Our actionable Analytics dashboard will save you time sifting through data and provide insights you may not get from an in-house search.
- Machine-learning based technology – Our intelligent software learns, refines and improves results as time goes on, helping you to maintain relevance automatically.
- Support from day one – From implementation to getting the most out of your MyCludo platform, our team is here to ensure your success. Phone and email support included, no matter what package you purchase.
- Cost and time savings – As we mentioned, it costs upwards of $60,000 (USD) to develop a website search in-house, not to mention an additional $10,000+ a year to maintain. Cludo costs a fraction of that, and saves you development time.
But of course, we still have customization to consider. If you’re looking for a search that looks and works just the way you want it, without the hassle of building it yourself, out-of-the-box solutions like Cludo can provide that compromise. Many search software allow you to customize anything from the layout of your search to the categories and other facets that it indexes.
Whether you decide to build your search or buy a solution like Cludo, it’s important to know that search is more than a bar at the top of the page – it is a direct connection to your users and their needs. So make sure your search is ready to deliver!
Ready to see just what you’ll get when you buy a search solution? Request a demo today!